Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Day of School

So, the kids were just a little more excited than usual today (and maybe it was nervous excitement) because they are starting at a new school.  Alayna had a hard time falling asleep last night (and subsequently, getting up this morning).  School starts a little earlier here (8:15 instead of 8:45), so it was a bit more challenging to get ready in time, but we did it.  We walked them to school and took photos with their new teachers and let them have had it.

When I picked them up, they both had so much to tell me.  I promised them each a 30-minute "date" with me to talk about their days.  Alayna went first.  She talked a lot about her teacher, and about new friends.  She liked the school and she said it was "a lot harder" than their school in Portland--and there aren't enough recesses, apparently.  All in all, I think it was a successful first day of 3rd grade.


Jeremiah started 6th grade this year.  He would have gone to middle school back in Portland, but this school district is still K-6 with a 7/8 middle school.  Odd, but whatever.  I think it is good that Jeremiah doesn't have to juggle classes and a huge workload just yet.  He isn't prepared for it, as his school in Portland really didn't do a great job of that.  I think this one will.  He was excited to teach some kids on the playground one of his favorite games (Groundies.....anyone heard of it?  I never had until we moved to Portland).   He's also stoked about the Lego Robotics club!

We're all excited to see what this school year brings!








No comments: