Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tamale Time

Growing up, Christmastime meant one thing in our family.  TAMALES!  Being half-Mexican, it is a tradition to make tamales and eat them on Christmas Eve on my Mom's side of the family.  Usually, our family would get together on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and make dozens (I am talking like 30 dozen) of tamales and then package them and freeze them for Christmas.  When I moved to Arizona and could no longer be a part of this process, it made me so sad.  So, last year, I decided to try making them on my own.  It was about a 50% failure and I was discouraged from trying again.  But, now, here in Portland, with Jilly here to help, we decided to make some up this year.  We made 9 dozen regular ones, 2 dozen black bean and corn ones, and my sister is making some chicken molé ones (will probably make about 3 dozen of those).  They are all delicious!  Now, it really feels like Christmas time.  :)

Aunt Jill helping J make his first one

Ta-da!

Helping Alyana

Finishing it up for her

Peter helped out at the end

Sissy, hard at work!

First batch of 3 dozen!

Not as good at Grandma's, but still DELICIOUS!

1 comment:

zanesmommy said...

Wish you could have taught me. And that I was there to sample :)