We held a memorial today for Ezra at Central Christian Church (the Gilbert campus). We were so appreciative of how many people came to show their support and love for not only our son, but for us. It was almost overwhelming. Peter's parents and brother came down for it (well, Marian has been here for over a week and plans to stay another week) as well as Kevin Weinert and his family, who are also from Antioch. Kevin officiated over the service and Peter, Marian, and I each spoke. Peter did a eulogy, Marian did Scripture reading and storytelling, and I read two poems I had written for Ezra, one after he was born, and one after his death. It was a very cathartic experience. Another incredible sense of peace overcame us, just like the night Ezra passed away. Our boy is in a new body and in the presence of our Heavenly Father! How great is that? Of course, we're sad and miss him terribly, and I wonder if we'll ever feel "normal" again with just 4 of us, instead of 5. But, I am so glad my little boy is no longer in pain, and no longer fighting just to get by in life. I wanted something more for all of my children. God, in His mercy, heard that cry and saved my son from a lifetime of pain and uncertainty. We can take some comfort in that.
We ended the day at the place where it all started--Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa. We ate there the night before Ezra was born (and its suspected that I had been in early labor that night). It seemed fitting to us to eat there again tonight, as we had not been back since. Peter and I both choked up, but it was a fun evening nonetheless.
Thank you to everyone for coming! And a VERY special thank you to the ladies from R&R who organized and prepared and served the food for the reception. And they cleaned up after! Amazing ladies!!! They have been a pillar of strength for us this week, and throughout this last year, as they have been praying for Ezra and our whole family. Thank you. And to Kevin and Jenny for driving 13 hours to be here for us and Kevin, for officiating. Thanks to Peter's co-worker Danny from CSA for making the fabulous DVD slideshow. And to Paul McCurtin, who has been coming by almost every day this week and coming early to set up. Oh, gosh, there are so many others to thank--people who have brought food, called, emailed, sent cards, and even made monetary donations. I should write a completely different blog to thank each one individually!!! We are so blessed to have so many wonderful friends and family members...it made this journey much more tolerable!
May God bless you all!
We are having another memorial (reception) in So Cal next Saturday. Ezra had so many loved ones, he gets TWO memorials! We are really looking forward to sharing in another celebration with our other friends and family members!!!
The kids released these balloons, anticipating that they would reach Ezra in Heaven:
Our night at Organ Stop:
(P.S. Keep reading, because family updates will still be here, even if less frequently!!!)
1 comment:
How Beautiful wish I was there but I'll see you all next week. The balloons were a great thing.
Love You Mom
Post a Comment