**UPDATE**
Ezra's g-tube surgery is on July 29th at 10am. Also, he cut two teeth over the weekend bringing the grand total to 2 teeth!
More when I know more!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know its been awhile without an update, but that's mostly because I didn't want to write one until I had all the facts about whats going on. I still don't, but I feel like I need to update everyone so that you're up to speed and can pray for us throughout the following weeks.
After nearly 11 months of struggling with Ezra’s feeding issues and the continued setbacks with his development, we have decided to have the G-tube placed in Ezra’s stomach. This has been an excruciating journey, more for Ezra than any of us. We thought that when we took him home from the NICU with the nose tube, it might take a month, maybe two for him to get the hang of eating. And he did, for awhile. But now, Ezra is 100% dependent on the nose tube. He won’t take anything by mouth. At one point, he was eating about 80% of his nutritional needs, including solids. Now, nothing. We are not sure what caused this regression, but we know that as Ezra grows and gains more control of his movements that we will be fussing with the Ng tube through every feeding. It’s exhausting. We’ve consulted with a GI specialist and she concurs—its time for the stomach tube. Ezra has an upper GI scheduled for Wednesday July 2nd and we will schedule the actual surgery from there. He will be in the hospital for at least 24-48 hours after the surgery. While he’s there, Peter and I are going to attend a few feeding clinics to learn how to care for and use the G-tube (and the feeding pump that comes with it). Please keep all of us in your prayers as we know this will be a difficult transition. Pray that Ezra makes it through safely and recovers quickly and that there are no complications during or after the surgery. Pray also for me, as it seems that the colitis is flaring up again. And please pray for Alayna and Jeremiah, that they would know we love them and will always be there for them. They have been such troopers over the past 10+ months--getting dragged to appointments, missing things they used to do, not having more of our attention. They have proved to have such amazing perseverance and even more patience. We are incredibly blessed. And finally, pray for Peter and I, for strength and encouragement and unity throughout this process and the scorching summer.
We are incredibly blessed to have your support and love and prayers. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment